Kingston University’s Knights Park Campus houses the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture. Walter Lilly transformed the Faculty’s existing 1930’s building quadrangle, into a bright and airy atrium which would become the new home for the Learning Resource Centre.
The project involved building an eye-catching glass roof over the full width of the quadrangle, supported by two tied steel arches. The arches found their bearing onto existing masonry via stub steel columns and by converting a large part of the ground floor.
Also included in the transformation was the remodelling of the studio, office and administrative areas.
Many sustainability features were included, such as the excavation and construction of a below ground concrete pit to house a stormwater attenuation tank for harvesting rainwater from the roof and surface water, as well as mixed mode ventilation, rooftop photovoltaic panels. This led to the project achieving a ‘Good’ BREEAM rating.
A degree of phasing was used to minimise disruption to the occupants of the campus as far as possible, allowing the University to successfully remain in occupation throughout the works. Access into and around the buildings was safely maintained throughout.
Knights Park Campus, Surrey
Project Manager: Watts Group
Architect: Pascal + Watson
PQS: Franklin & Andrews, Mott MacDonald
Structural Engineer: Michael Hadi Associates
Services Engineer: Downie Consulting Engineers
Highly Commended, Society of College, National & University Libraries (SCONUL) Design Awards